2019 Minutes

Glidden Drive Association Board Meeting

November 12, 2019

Members Present: Jean Elste, Danny Mantynband, Gretchen DeCoster, Lynda Szczepanik, Ann Glessner.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m.

The meeting minutes from October 24 were approved. Jean will have them loaded to the website.

Financials: Gretchen reported that there was no change in the financials since the last report other than dues received from one member. A motion was made and approved to pay the $64 annual PO box renewal fee.

Social:

Holiday Party: Lynda reported progress on the Holiday Party and that she is awaiting the catering contract from Scaturos. She plans to decorate the party room the day prior and will go to Costco for the beverages and desserts. Danny reported that he has secured neighborhood musicians to lead the group on a variety of ‘sing alongs’ that will start as the meal finishes. The party sign up is on the website and Jean sent an email to Drive members. She will send another reminder in a couple weeks. Thanks to Danny for creating the fun signs at both ends of the drive advertising the party.

Winter Dinner Party:

Lynda will reserve the Nightengale for the evening of February 29. A motion was made and approved to authorize placing a deposit up to $300.

Membership:

Website Update: Jean and Gretchen will coordinate a conference call with the web designer to discuss needed changes to the GDA website. In addition, they will look at potentially adding the 30th Anniversary GDA Booklet to the website as it has good Drive historical information.

New Member Directory:

Gretchen reported that she has delivered the membership directory to the printer and they should be mailed out within the next couple weeks. In a discussion with the printer there was a change in mailing fees vs. the original estimate. A motion was made and approved to allow for an additional $75 in mailing fees vs. the previously approved directory budget.

The Board discussed the need to add verbiage to next year’s directory prohibiting people from sharing directory information or using it for marketing, etc. purposes. They also decided that prior to publishing next year’s directory that we will send an email to all members reminding them to make any contact information changes on the GDA website.

New Business:

DNR: The Board discussed the potential value in hosting a DNR speaking event next year and asking a DNR employee to address high water concerns with Drive residents in an open forum. Danny will pursue the availability and interest of the DNR targeting an early Summer event to be held at the Town Hall.

Lakes Gas Contract: Gretchen reported that the Three Year Lakes Gas contract will be expiring at the end of May and will need to be re-negotiated. She will be creating a member list by the end of January for use in those negotiations. The Board also discussed the importance of keeping the access to the gas tank clear – especially with winter snow. Jean will send out a reminder email to members.

The next Board meeting will be January 7 at 9:00 at the Sevastopol Town Hall.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 am.

Respectfully,

Ann Glessner



Glidden Drive Association Board Meeting

October 24, 2019

Members Present: Jean Elste, Danny Mantynband, Gretchen DeCoster, Ann Glessner.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m.

The meeting minutes from September 24 were approved. Jean will have them loaded to the website.

Financials: See attached. Gretchen provided a financial update, reviewing key highlights and membership statistics. She also reported that she reconciled membership lists and information and sent follow-up dues reminders to various members, receiving dues from several of them.

Gretchen and Jean reported that they investigated other banking options to see if they had more stringent controls around the check signage and authorization process. They found the local banks to have generally the same processes so recommended that we not change banks. All spending requires board authorization but the Board recommends that we review and potentially amend the GDA bylaws at the next Annual Meeting to include verbiage around requiring two signatures or implementing a dollar threshold requiring board approval before a check is signed.

Social:

Holiday Party: The Holiday Party will be December 7 at the Sevastopol Town Hall. Scaturo's will do the catering at a cost of $25 per person. The Board agreed to keep the cost to participants $20 – the same as last year. GDA will subsidize the difference as well as provide beer, wine, decorations and door prizes. A motion was made and approved for a $500 budget. Danny will ask some of the neighborhood entertainers if they would be interested in performing – ideally a half dozen “sing alongs” that will be performed after dinner. Jean will have the party registration added to the website and Danny will make and put signs up at both entrances to the Drive.

Membership:

1) New Residents: Ann prepared a one-page insert about GDA to be included in the information packet delivered by Arlene Woefel of the Welcome Wagon.

2) Jean reported that buying large banners for the drive entrances to help communicate upcoming events was cost prohibitive. We will instead look at ‘handmade’ signs such as the ones that Danny will make for the Holiday Party.

3) Jean and Gretchen continue to review the GDA website and will be working with the Web designer to revise, including a new section for new homeowners that Gretchen prepared.

New Member Directory:

Gretchen reported that she has done substantial work to ‘clean up’ the membership lists and directory as well as find a way to make the process of creating the directory more efficient. She discussed some recommended formatting changes that both make the directory creation easier and also provide additional information such as secondary emails and phone numbers. The Board unanimously approved implementing these changes in the new directory. Gretchen and Jean will work on next steps to finalize and publish the directory.

The next Board meeting will be November 12 at 9:00 at the Sevastopol Town Hall.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 am.

Respectfully,

Ann Glessner


Glidden Drive Association Board Meeting

September 24, 2019

Members Present: Jean Elste, Danny Mantynband, Gretchen DeCoster, Ann Glessner.

The meeting was called to order at 9:10 a.m.

The meeting minutes from July 9 were approved. Jean will have them loaded to the website.

Financials: See attached. Gretchen provided a financial update, reviewing key highlights and membership statistics.

Gretchen and Jean reported that they had met with our bank to update the authorized signatures. In a discussion with the bank they found that there are weak controls around the check signage and authorization process. Gretchen and Jean will both discuss with the two other local banks their practices and also recommend that we review and potentially amend the GDA bylaws to include verbiage around requiring two signatures or implementing a dollar threshold requiring board approval before a check is signed.

Social:

Summer Picnic: The group discussed that the picnic went well and that feedback was positive. Thanks to Lynda for pulling this together. There were 57 members in attendance vs. 47 from last year. The group discussed that for next year’s picnic we consider on-site grilling and that perhaps some of the board members or members could do the grilling if we didn’t have the caterer do so.

Holiday Party: The Holiday Party will be December 7 at the Sevastopol Town Hall. Jean will send out a ‘save the date’. Scaturos will do the catering. We will have a bottle of champagne as a door prize. The group discussed entertainment options that were both budget friendly and encouraged an atmosphere for attendees to mingle and chat. Danny will ask some of the neighborhood entertainers if they would be interested in performing.

Winter Dinner: The group held an initial discussion on the Winter Dinner and discussed pros and cons of different venues. It was decided to hold the Winter Dinner again this year at the Nightingale.

Membership:

New Residents: As a follow up from the last meeting, Jean spoke with Arlene Woefel of the Welcome Wagon and she agreed to include information about the Glidden Drive Association in the welcome packet given to new neighbors. Ann will draft up a one-page insert for review.

Membership renewals: A reminder that the membership year runs from June 1 to May 31 and dues will be collected in June. The website will be updated for this reminder.

Membership Outreach: The group had a lengthy discussion about the drop in GDA membership as well as event attendance and making sure that communication was inclusive of all residents. Several changes will be made:

1) Efforts will be made to reach members who do not have access to electronic communication (postcards, neighbor outreach, etc.)

2) Jean and Ann will investigate using signage at both drive entrances to help communicate member sign up, social events, etc.

3) Jean and Gretchen will be reviewing and updating the GDA Website to ensure information is up to date and complete. They will be adding a section with helpful contact information to new homeowners (utility and garbage providers, etc.)

New Member Directory: Jean will contact Nancy Goldberg to discuss updating and publishing the new GDA Member Directory. Many members are not updating their contact information on the website and updates to membership lists and information are not straightforward. Jean and Gretchen will look at the process and suggestions for moving forward. A decision was also made to include a secondary email (ex. spouses, partners, shared ownership, etc.) in the new Directory.

The next Board meeting will be October 24 at 9:00 at the Sevastopol Town Hall.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 am.

Respectfully,

Ann Glessner


Glidden Drive Association Board Meeting July 9, 2019

Members Present: Jean Elste, Danny Mantynband, Lynda Szczepanik, Gretchen DeCoster, Ann Glessner.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m.

The group discussed Board positions. The following was unanimously decided:

President – Jean Elste

Secretary – Ann Glessner

Treasurer – Gretchen DeCoster

Social – Lynda Szczepanik


Financials: See attached. Gretchen provided a financial update, reviewing key highlights and membership statistics.

Membership: The group discussed membership and the recent drop in members. Jean Elste will contact Arlene Woefel of the Welcome Wagon to see if we can include information about the Glidden Drive Association in the welcome packet given to new neighbors. A motion was made and approved not to collect the shortfall in dues from the five members who paid $25 vs. $30.

Social: The group discussed the summer picnic and the projected cost per person vs. the amount charged. Prior events were highly subsidized from GDA funds. This year’s picnic will feature more traditional picnic food and at a lower cost per person. A decision was made to provide water and soft drinks for the picnic and ask members to BYOB. In addition to reducing the cost per person this also allows members to bring preferred beverage choice. Danny will work with Lynda to come up with a few game ideas. There was an initial discussion about the Holiday party planning including initial thoughts about the budget and entertainment and venue ideas.

Other: Jean will reach out to Nancy Goldberg for president’s book and corresponding secretary history. The Board might consider sending an email reminder to members about safety and keeping the roadsides mowed. The meeting was adjourned at 10:20 am.

Respectfully, Ann Glessner


Glidden Drive Association Board Meeting May 9, 2019

Members Present: Nancy Goldberg, Jane Hensge, Paul Kasriel, Chris Comeford, Danny Mantynband, Amy Phimister

Meeting called to order at 9:00 a.m.

Minutes from previous meeting: Motion by Amy to approve, second by Jane; approved

Financials:See attached.

Recently 10 more members signed up for a total of 80 so far. Motion to approve by Paul, second by Danny; approved.

Website: A new format is being worked on due to changes by Google.

Maintenance: One new sign is down due to damage by a backing auto. Guy Fortrin has been contacted and will repaired. Nancy repaired the fire sign on Pebble Lane.

Social: Jane will order food for the annual meeting. Linda Szepanik to take over with Jane. Cookies will be provided by Chris, Nancy, and Jane.

Membership: Chris has contacted new members by e-mail and received a nice response.

Agenda for the annual Meeting:

1. Year in review: Repaving of road and memorial.

2. Chris will email the minutes from last annual meeting to Anne for inclusion on the website.

3. There will be a public forum regarding ATV use on roads. Date to be determined. On record as opposing ATV traffic. No regulations for ATV use on Rustic Roads.

4. Social Gatherings.

5. Website

6. Fire danger

7. Treasurer Report

8. Social report

9. Speaker on proposed changes to ambulance service.

Proposed slate: Gretchen DeCoster Linda and Jim Szepanik Paula Latta In reserve: Lynn Grebus and Mark Elste Lunch will follow the annual meeting.

Adjournment: 10:01


GDA BOARD MEETING - JANUARY 22, 2019

Meeting called to order at 8:20 am by Nancy Goldberg

Members Present: Nancy Goldberg, Danny Mantynbad, Paul Kasriel, Amy Phimister,

Jane Hensge, Chris Comeford

Minutes: Motion to approve minutes approved as published.

Treasurer’s Report: See attached. Currently 197 paid members. Money from the CD

will be transferred to checking account to supplement social event subsidies and lane

sign replacements. A motion to substitute a cash donation to the chorus in lieu of

providing food at the Christmas Party was made by Paul, second by Jane and

approved.

Winter Dinner: Scheduled for February 23 at the Nightingale. Cocktails at 5:30; Dinner

at 6:00. We will be seated in the front dining room. Cost: $31.00 per person; includes

dinner, coffee, dessert, tax and tip.

Directory: Almost finished. Every effort has been made to include all paid members.

Website: A suggestion to scan the History of Glidden Drive to the website was made by

Jane. The format of the website will be changing due to changes at Google.

Suggested dates for upcoming events: Next meeting, May 9; Annual Meeting: June 15;

Picnic August 10, alternate date August 17. Chris will contact Amy Flok to secure dates.

A possible slate of new members for the board was discussed.

Jim Szczepanik: has already volunteered

Terry and/or John Busby. (Danny will contact)

Ralph and Paula Latta (Danny will contact)

Gretchen DeCoster (Chris will contact)

Mark Elste (Amy will contact)

Basil Mundy (Nancy will contact)

Ginny Zdenalik (Chris will contact)

FYI: Paul mentioned upcoming choral concerts.

Next Meeting: May 9 at 9:00 at the Sevastopol Town Hall